Saturday, January 31, 2009

Laundry Theory

I thought I might explain how a normal blogging gets dropped.It's 9:16 in the AM and I have a theory. Let's go research.

My theory is that we all use a lot more laundry detergent than we need. As with any solvent, there's going to be a point of diminishing returns. If I was a detergent company I'd want to make sure my customers were well past that point. I'd want to ensure my product worked to its full potential (and buy it again), and I'd want customers to use more of my product (and buy it sooner).

After 10 minutes, the wikipedia article on laundry, and now on laundry detergent (a good example of wiki's left leaning motif), I'm finding some interesting stuff. Detergent has a pretty big carbon footprint, and Tesco in the UK had the same idea I did about labeling products with environmental impact information. In rank from largest carbon footprint to smallest: Powdered detergent, liquid, concentrated liquid, Fat Tire Amber Ale. So if you love nature... drink Fat Tire, not Tide. Soap nuts, the dried fruit of the sapindus tree, are one of the best natural solutions. They don't look too expensive, I might try them after I run out of my giant box of powdered detergent (hey, it's cheap, and I didn't know).

Well it's now 9:52 and I've found someone else who had a related thought: Just be sure you're not using too much. I'd expect people have already thought about this, but perhaps they haven't. It does bring up the question of why the caps need to be so big...I can't help but say it must be related to consumers doing what they do faster. Aside: Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-business... I'd do the same thing if I was a CEO of Ultra. Then again, if you really want to save, DIY. I still haven't found anything directly related to my theory, but I did find a green game with Tom Green.

It's 10:22 in the AM. Typically by this point, I'd have changed my topic and probably just blog on the carbon footprint of different types of detergent. So now know, that's how I usually drop a blogging.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cassy said...

I think the energy efficient washers use less soap, or it's more concentrated. Either way it seems better to use a natural product so we're not dumping gallons of chemicals down the drain. I try to use all natural cleaners, even though they're a bit more expensive. Just using stuff like vinegar and baking soda can take care of a bunch of cleaning duties and they're dirt cheap.

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home