Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Fatties part deux

This video has been creating a bit of a ruckus in the digital world. It's worth a watch if you have 8 extra minutes.

What I learned in the video is that average individual has a different connotation classification “fat”. When the average woman says fat she might be talking about a woman who by my standards is "a little overweight", or "not skinny." When I randomly hate a "fat" person I see on the street, they are probably, technically "morbidly obese." Both connotations fit correctly within the denotation. The discrepancy is a shortcoming of popular usage of the English language. I still hate fat people.

My motivation for hating the morbidly obese has nothing to do with appearance. I hate the morbidly obese because they are unhealthy (they can be identified by appearance, but that does not affect my underlying motivation: the egg came first, not the fat chicken). I don't care how much you like fat people... there is no way a person with 50% body fat or more can be healthy. I hate all unhealthy people. When it comes to being unhealthy, I'm an equal opportunity hater...I hate chronic smokers; drug addicts; alcoholics; and skinny, sedentary people with horrible diets. What's that? You say these people need mental help? Well fuck yeah they need mental help, and in many cases people are just too chicken shit to confront that person, and the individual is too spineless to go looking for help. It's a vicious cycle of worthlessness. As many readers of this blog know, if I have a problem with my friend's behavior, they will know about it; this doesn't mean I am right and they are wrong, or that they have to change, but I sure don't beat around the bush. I expect the same treatment, and am disappointed when I find that a good friend has avoided a conflict with me strictly on the basis of not wanting to offend me.

Bringing it back to fat people.... Weight is not important, but health is... and weight is a part of health. [insert freshman logic bullshit about paradox and revealing a higher truth] We need to develop a better metric for health. I don't have one to propose, but it's definitely not weight, BMI, body fat percentage, cholesterol levels, blood pressure, resting pulse, metabolic rate, personal income, or car/penis size.

5 Comments:

Blogger charlie said...

I hate people with cystic fibrosis

8:52 PM  
Blogger Apayo said...

I think you worry too much about other people...

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I was thinking...

say being fat is a genetic disorder. If your parents were fat, you're much more likely to be fat. I'd say it's true (nature and nurture). In the animal world, only the animals with the "sexy traits" (biggest, strongest, etc.) get to pass on their traits to the next generation and mate.

So the way to solve the problem of fat people...is to go with our animalistic nature and just fuck ridiculously good looking people. Stop fucking fat people, and then they can't pass their fat genes on. Problem solved.

5:29 PM  
Blogger Cassy said...

Brady, you hate the behavior, not the person behaving that way (maybe). They are separate. I don't think that's apparent to others and it makes you seem pretty close-minded about the issue, even though your views make sense.

8:23 AM  
Blogger Moby Dick said...

Brady is suffering from GAY PANIC. He hates that he is attracted to FAT MEN. He dreams of licking their ass cracks, eating that chocolaty pudding, and inhaling that rancid butt-steak odor. Stop being afraid Brady. YOU ARE GAY.

4:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home