Thursday, June 15, 2006

Drink like you're moving to Africa

hey party bloggers.

My friend Mike is moving to Africa. He and his wife have just joined the peace core and are moving to Mali. No electricity or running water for years. If Mike wants to check email or charge a cell phone or iPod, he has to make a 20 mile mountain bike ride through the desert. Sounds pretty sweet.

Mike plays the saxomaphone and we have been playing jazz together for about 4 years. At first it was just the two of us in the dorms jamming cause we were bored or needed to burn off some steam. Within the last two years we have evolved into a jazzing and drinking club of membership 2. Mike and I both enjoy trying new wines or liquers; our sunday afternoon jam sesions always included a sampling of a new spirit. Mike makes wine and beer in his house so we often tried his newest concoction: meade, cherry wine, unfiltered wheat beer etc. As a last hurrah Mike came over last night and brought along some of his "Shulte Brew" unfiltered honey wheat beer, draft cider, and a bottle of his strawberry blush. Since it was the last night I may ever get to spend with my good friend, I bought a nice bottle of port (Stone Hill 2002 Port), reduced it, and we enjoyed a glass of the port with the reduction over vanilla ice cream. We also drank everything mike brought over, talked about africa, and played some real free, open, dark jazz and blues. It was a good night. Good luck to Mike and his wife Jen in Mali. Stay out of the sand.

Reports of me quitting cycling have not been exagerated. My grades were mediocre last semester, and my performance on the bike had been failiing miserably for about 4 weeks. Right now I'm thinking I need to concentrate on what will matter in 10 years a little more than I have been (ie. I need to put school above cycling for the first time ever). I'll still be racing, but I'll train when I want to, probably do some other things (triathlons, 5Ks and maybe some adventure racing). I've been off the bike for a month, no regrets yet, my body has been enjoying the rest. That being said, I have a test in the morning so it's time for bed (4th day of class and a test over 3 chapters).

I have been all about pad imporvement this summer. New additions to 8B Clarkson (the B side) include a hammock, bread maker, pool, ping pong table, and badmitton set. Not bad for a college pad. Pool party today(Friday) come stop in for a soak anytime after 1PM.

I want to get a weimaraner and name it djamolidine abdoujaparov. That's right. My dog will kick bubba's ass.

2 Comments:

Blogger Butthead said...

What a shitty blog update. You suck.

12:49 PM  
Blogger Brady Beckham said...

jimmy, you seem bitter

butthead. you're always bitter

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home