Sunday, April 30, 2006

A first time for everything.

Today I bartended at a Jewish funeral. The tipping was a little tight, but there were some really hot chicks there.

In all seriousness, the ceremony was really great. The deceased (his name was Don) sounded like a great guy. then again: it takes a nice guy to need an 800 capacity venue for a funeral; who isn't made to sound really great in a memorial. There were some really attractive younger women too.

Ceremonial burial is an odd thing. Today, I suppose it exists much more for the remaining than for the deceased. This afternoon, the deceased had been creamated. His widow asked us to put a dark beer by his remains, I didn't charge her for the Guiness. I had never been to a service without an open casket. I think the creamation really allowed people to focus more on the memory of their friend/relative. Open casket funerals are much more morbid; the lifeless and empty looking cadaver of someone you once knew always a present reminder that they won't be coming back, and that you too will die, probably sooner than you think. I'm all about creamation. Not to mention it's way cheaper. Did I mention the foxes at the service?

Back to finals projects.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i completely agree. i have friends who died who my last memory of them is of a lifeless corpse. it is the worst way to remember a friend. cremation it is.

7:14 PM  
Blogger S. Smith said...

This blog rocks.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Brady Beckham said...

I got really offended at an interview with a fortune 500 company last year when the interviewer looked at my resume and said , "The blue note? that sounds like a blow off college job" I have learned so much from working there, and it's been really fun and somewhat lucrative.

Many thanks to Richard King and the Blue Note.

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home