Sunday, April 30, 2006

A first time for everything.

Today I bartended at a Jewish funeral. The tipping was a little tight, but there were some really hot chicks there.

In all seriousness, the ceremony was really great. The deceased (his name was Don) sounded like a great guy. then again: it takes a nice guy to need an 800 capacity venue for a funeral; who isn't made to sound really great in a memorial. There were some really attractive younger women too.

Ceremonial burial is an odd thing. Today, I suppose it exists much more for the remaining than for the deceased. This afternoon, the deceased had been creamated. His widow asked us to put a dark beer by his remains, I didn't charge her for the Guiness. I had never been to a service without an open casket. I think the creamation really allowed people to focus more on the memory of their friend/relative. Open casket funerals are much more morbid; the lifeless and empty looking cadaver of someone you once knew always a present reminder that they won't be coming back, and that you too will die, probably sooner than you think. I'm all about creamation. Not to mention it's way cheaper. Did I mention the foxes at the service?

Back to finals projects.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i completely agree. i have friends who died who my last memory of them is of a lifeless corpse. it is the worst way to remember a friend. cremation it is.

7:14 PM  
Blogger JimmyMc said...

What a great gig. Movies are made about jobs like this. Brady, you're getting the kind of education all parents want for their children, even though they probably don't want to think about it.

5:51 AM  
Blogger seth said...

This blog rocks.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Brady Beckham said...

I got really offended at an interview with a fortune 500 company last year when the interviewer looked at my resume and said , "The blue note? that sounds like a blow off college job" I have learned so much from working there, and it's been really fun and somewhat lucrative.

Many thanks to Richard King and the Blue Note.

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home