Thursday, April 05, 2007

I'm pregnant.

I just found out, I've been pregnant for 1 month. In December I will give birth to something... I'm thinking about calling it adulthood. No... I'm not having a real baby, it's a metaphor (jeez mom, take your estrogen pill and have some vodka with breakfast).

So, in 8 months I will graduate college after a short 5 and 1/2 years. I'm expecting to get a real job as an industrial engineer. It should be fun. Well, that's an understatement... it's going to be a blast. I'm going to take my new baby (still not a real baby) and move to a new city where I don't know anybody, start getting paid in checks instead of cash, and get a mortgage payment.

Don't worry, this isn't one of those sappy "I'm kinda scared... the world is so big" type rants. No way, the world doesn't have anything on me. It's going to rock. I'm actually really excited about living as a bachelor on an engineer's salary. As the date of graduation approaches I keep thinking more and more about all the things I'll be able to do with the freedom gained by raising above the poverty line (and also cutting the financial umbilical cord I still enjoy). I don't feel the need to have a traditional house... but I am enamored by the prospect of having a space I can really make my own. I do understand this is all pending on a lot of variables going my way, but my extensive procrastination(see last post) has led to a higher percentage of variables swaying in my favor. What's true is you can expect my car to be old, my furniture to be second hand, guest room without a bed... but you will probably be able to climb from the front door to the back without touching the ground. The kitchen will most likely contain the most technologically advanced equipment in the house (quote source).

If I live someplace hot I'm also going to have a snow cone machine... with only piƱa colada and french vanilla flavorings... if you want something else you'll have to bring it.

So I'm not sure where exactly I'll end up, but I'm really leaning towards the rocky mountain region (maybe Durango), the pacific northwest, or Canada ( guess I like coniferous forest). Overseas is not out of the question. I have one great connection that may require me to live in southwestern Missouri for a couple of years before I move out, but I'd have a lot of options when I did. I realize that most of the things I want will not allow me to live in a major metro... that's fine... the close I am to open roads and trail heads, the better. As long as I live close enough to a city that can provide me with the social networking I crave... I'm all good.

Anyway... it's going to take a little time, but my house is going to be small and probably old (to me this means it will have flavor), but will be a playground for me. I'll go ahead and invite you all to drop by any time. As long as you realize you'll be sleeping on the couch or a cot. These are all things I've been wanting for several years (including the snow cone machine). Others seem to have the idea that happieness is moving into larger and larger houses. I think happieness is having 3 or 4 small houses in locations to satisfy (mountains, water, hot, cold). I'd like to live a

Other things I will likely bring into my life:
-a person climbing space
-weimaraner
-garden
-music recording equipment
-a synthesizer
-a brass instrument of some kind (perhaps a flugel horn)

Things on my 10 year to do list:
-Pay off a small house. (emphasis on small... it's just me, no need for much)
-Hike Kilimanjaro (Erika, are we still on?)
-Continue education in the theoretical side of industrial engineering (lots of stat), psychology, and logic(only basics here).

Things I'd like to do:
-Write an editorial (I guess that'd be making this analog and official)
-Run for public office (only if I think I could help)
-retain all the neat little skills I've acquired throughout my life, improve if possible (languages, instruments, math, etc.)
-and of course, pick up some new skills... like bo staff skills.

Only 8 months... I'm already anxious. If I want this to happen I need to take some notes from the roomie Greggles who did a stellar job of job searching and ended up landing a teaching job in Torreon, Mexico next year. School is going to take a back seat to job search this semester.

All this excitement about being young and beaming with life force has led me to realize aging may be a very difficult process for me... but that won't be happening for awhile.

My college career has been anything but normal, you can expect the real world to be similar.

5 Comments:

Blogger Apayo said...

Durango huh;) And your house seems awesome... I may be visiting... maybe I'll end up broke and I'll freeload off of youfor a month:D Just like last time! lol... I owe you big time... but actually, I did paint you a picture... and I'm going to be famous. You could probably sell it for millions.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Erika Carlson said...

I've finished up though the latest chapter. Now I want to know what you will be naming the fetus and do you intend to have more children of a metaphoric nature?
Also, we must learn how to bend spoons b/f the Kila climb. It is on my 10 year plan. I'm glad it is still on yours.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Brady Beckham said...

apayo, what makes you think I'd sell it, besides, I"m naked it... I don't think that will be worth millions.

E: fetus will be named
"the"... he will introduce himself as "The Beckham"... bending spoons is child's play, we can do it on any tuesday night, I'm game.

2:06 PM  
Blogger Cassy said...

Can I get some time share on those houses? I will be living on a counselor's salary...equiv. or less to the teacher's...

2:33 PM  
Blogger Brady Beckham said...

Houses are just like the B side, everybody is invited, whether I'm there or not

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home