Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The masse consenting

I received a forward today containing this cartoon. The line, "Imagine yourself in a land where your countrymen followed the voice of political extremists who didn't like your religion." struck me poignantly. I wrote in my journal:

It was not until just now that I had drawn the connection between many Americans today and many Germans in the 30s. It's true that Amedinejad is crazy, and is potentially a threat... but it wasn't until this email that I realized the error so many Americans make (of grouping all/most Muslims as extremists like Amedinejad) is an equally grave threat to world progress. Before today I'd been frustrated by the spoutings of poorly informed Americans who think all Muslims are a threat. Now, I see that mentality as threatening, not just annoyingly mis-informed.
Imagine yourself in Iran where your countrymen follow the voice of politicians who don't like Christianity.
Imagine yourself in the USA where your countrymen follow the voice of politicians who don't like Islam.
Imagine yourself in Germany where your countrymen follow the voice of politicians who don't like Judaism.
We're all familiar with the last. I think it'd be tough to argue the first two don't exist now. Sure, there's a big step between where we are now, and genocide... but I'm made nervous by the fact that many of our countrymen and politicians are still facing that direction.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cassy said...

Have you ever read stuff about the Stanley Milgram experiment? It's amazing what kind of orders we will follow like sheep.

9:58 AM  
Blogger Brady Beckham said...

was that the mock jail experiement? Or was that the one where people just wore lab coats as a sign of authority? Or was that the one where the lab coat told them to push a button, and the subject would hear immediate screaming from an unknown source, then they'd ask them to push the button again?

All interesting.

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home