Tuesday, April 24, 2007

My secret platform.

Sorry, this is all pretty boring. It’s the journal page prior titled, “I can’t stand for, but want to,” that gets a little more exciting. The first and only entry...


-Allowing more natural deaths to occur [no more decades of life support, let babies born with defects die or be terminated]

That’s as far as I got, but should be enough controversy for today. If you can’t give back, you should not be here. I clarify that opinion by stating that all men are not created equal; this does not mean some should be denied certain unalienable rights. TJ was only half right. In a perfect system, all components are running full blast and no one is falling behind or getting ahead. Not to say that the components of the system are equal; only that they fulfill their purpose equally as well. Given the fact that a person with an IQ of 80 can be autonomous and productive, but will never match the potential of a person on the other side of bell curve, it makes sense that they can not be equal in every way. However, a better definition of equality is that Forrest, Forrest Gump; Stephen Hawking; and Soccer mom all have the same chance to fulfill their potential. Qualitatively I would argue the United States and most of Europe have the resources to provide this equality; the problem, of course, is allocating those resources properly and cutting back inefficiencies.

Recently, I realized that a large number of my views place the individual as more important that the community, but I believe individual empowerment is the best way to benefit the population. This greatly affects my views on solutions to sexism and racism. Much like I believe the US should concentrate on it's own problem before we worry about others, I feel individual improvement should be the first step towards helping others. It should also be said that the fourth book in Gulliver’s Travel’s had a large effect on my life and the development of my idea of how a utopia would have to run (I beliefs don’t parallel the book, but I see it as a very useful analogy). Failing to admit inequality is one big step away from optimization… helping to establish my opinions on “no child left behind”, feminism.

Firstly, I realize that Stephen Hawking is a severely physically disabled individual that has given back more than I ever will. I’m not advocating all babies that aren’t perfect human specimens be aborted or terminated, but I am saying a kid with the IQ of stump and physical deformities limiting him/her to a life of assisted living have no place in this world. You sure don’t see it anywhere in nature.

Secondly, I quite like my definition of the equality we are entitled to: An equivalent opportunity to fulfill an individual’s potential.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you feel about pets?

5:54 PM  
Blogger Brady said...

ha... interesting thought. sure, they can't give back... but if they serve to better our lives as a whole, I think they can stay.

I understand there has to be some balance between the indiviudal funtioning to benefit the community and stopping to realize the benefits of everybody's work. Yes, pets are cool, as are other luxuries.

If you are implying that a pet is similar to a cripple with extreme retardation... I'd say the main difference right now is that US tax dollar don't help at all with pets...

9:39 PM  
Blogger Cassy said...

Hmmm...I agree with your view of inequality among humans...right now I'm feeling a bit inadequate after reading that... I think that fulfillment of potential should be focused on at an early age if it's to be anything at all. School systems may never get it done. They're too focused on grades and testing performance, which may not amount to any indication of a student's potential. It's a grand leap.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Brady said...

"...school systems..." I agree completely... check out my post on edumaction. Aug '06.

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home