Thursday, October 11, 2007

Civil War

I'm becoming increasingly annoyed with people who like to fight progress that isn't perfect.
I have a message for people: "Cold fusion doesn't exist yet, and it's not close enough to wait around for it."

Things that annoy me:
-People who don't support building new nuclear reactors because of the waste (but let's keep burning a lot more coal?!?!)
-People who don't support moving to bio-diesel because corporate farming isn't sustainable
-People who don't buy compact fluorescent bulbs because they have trace amounts of mercury (far less than coal burning power plants expel into the atmosphere.... and they can be disposed of properly)
-People who shut down wind turbines because birds were flying into them (birds have been around a long time... they will learn very quickly, in the meantime wind turbines are shut down so we can burn more fossil fuels. yay!)

... also wasn't there a scenario in CA a few years back where the EPA wouldn't allow a field to be cleared because it would disturb the field mice's natural habitat... as a wild fire was spreading towards the field and the neighborhood that bordered it. I can't get behind that!

Listen... I realize their points. None of these options are perfect. Bio-diesel crops aren't sustainable at the level we need them. Guess what, civilization isn't sustainable with it's current trends, and I don't think many people are going to be too keen on returning to hunting and gathering. Therefore, we need to do the best we can right now.

Sustainability does not have a solution yet... we must satisfice while we continue to look for the answer.

sorry about that... I'm a bit annoyed today.

3 Comments:

Blogger Alicia said...

I think we should talk together about this topic.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Brady said...

cool, I'm down... perhaps wed. night on the trail

6:40 AM  
Blogger Apayo said...

I'm down for hunter gathering...

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home