Friday, August 01, 2008

Holding...

I just navigated one of those automated phone answering systems where you "say the option you want at any time." I really have to think twice and force myself to say the option over the computer voice. I suppose it's years of being conditioned not to interrupt others (although I'm sure I still do that frequently when I get excited). I'm guilty of several cases of waiting for the robot to finish speaking even though I know exactly what option I want.

I'm sure technologies of this type will abound in the not too distant future. The silly question I have is, will these technolgies affect culture such that people are more inclinded to interrupt others? How will the we respond to being interrrupted?

In other news, there was some dissention between Bill Gates, some friends, and me. It all started because I typed:
Assuming a 5 day work week yields 14k pieces daily.
What do you think, is that a sentence or is it not?

Hokay, I've just been taken off hold.

2 Comments:

Blogger charlie said...

fwiw, lots of the time if you pound the 0 or pound buttons, shout "agent" or "operator," or use lots of angry-sounding profanity then the voice-operated answering services will move you to a real person.

I found a site a few years ago that listed by corporation how to escape the automatic system and go to a live operator, but can't seem to find it now.

5:31 PM  
Blogger Cassy said...

I hit 0 a lot. No, it's not a sentence in my opinion. I think everyone interrupts more often because our cultural pace keeps going faster and faster. And I think most of the time when people have conversations they're waiting to talk instead of listening.

5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home