Monday, July 23, 2007

My response

If you haven't been here in a few days, you'll need to start at the beginning. Scroll down a few posts.
_____________________________

Senator McCaskill,

Firstly, thank you for your response.

While I also hope that impeachment is the rarest of cases, the decision to impeach or not should only be made Constitutionally. In this case, the integrity of the Constitution depends on measures being taken. I'm sure you'll agree with me that popularity should not be taken into consideration when the Bill of Rights is at stake. I only mention the polls to bring up the fact that supporting impeachment is not only Constitutional, but also shouldn't have negative effects politically (I'd like others to follow my lead and vote for you again). I compel you to support impeachment solely on the Constitutional basis, with no personal malice for the individuals under scrutiny (and if upholding the Constitution doesn't lose votes, that's just bonus).

I believe President Bush and his appointed officials are doing what they truly believe is best. I do not fault the current administration for their beliefs or for mistakes made; they are human. I do fault them for repeatedly putting their own beliefs ahead of the Constitution to the point of illegally overstepping their bounds.

I take heart in your statement about providing stronger oversight. Retroactive oversight is needed also; while it cannot change the past, it can prevent unconstitutional precedent from remaining unchecked. It will change the future.

I appreciate your desire to use resources for other productive means... I love progress, and don't think it can happen fast enough. Although, until a party can secure a 2/3 majority. I have to ask if much progress can really happen under this administration? I'd like to be optimistic, but history doesn't always allow for that. However, the way I understand the Constitution, it is not in your role as a senator to call for articles of impeachment. Until you are asked to weigh the case please just don't, "take the idea off the table."*

Good luck with your fight for balance, and the betterment of our still great nation.

Sincerely,
Your constituent. -Brady Beckham
________________________

These are the words used twice by Speaker Pelosi referring to the probability of impeaching Bush. At least once was within the last 6 months.

In all this context it should be mentioned: The house of Representatives must call for impeachment... write the articles, and pass it. The Senate then tries the case.
Also, Dennis Kucinich (a democratic presidential candidate) has already presented House Resolution 333, 3 articles of impeachment against Dick Cheney.

OK. I'm done with impeachment until "certain things have come to light."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home