Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Concentration

I just found this site. I think I'll try and get through them. I borrowed a television from my grandparents while I was in a cast. My interest in it had a shelf life of about two weeks, it's not been on since. I much prefer typing in a subject that interests me on google videos and learning a bit. Just this evening I listened to a couple of on subjects I dream of comprehending.

I've been doing a lot of menial shit at work lately, so I thought I'd write a post on concentration. When I was a kid I loved to play Zelda on NES. Granted it was Zelda, and it was awesome, but I'd play for 3 days straight until my mother made me stop. These video game binges would usually cause me to ignore anything my body would tell me. I would ignore the pressure in my loins until I was on the verge of peeing myself, pause it, sprint to the bathroom, skip the shake and get back to the triforce as quickly as possible.

My brain is good for solving one big problem. Once my brain gets going down a path, it won't stop until something productive has happened (or I have a massive migraine and go to sleep). Conversely, I am terrible at switching gears, I can't have a conversation while typing an email, I'm as good as dead while watching TV. Some people's brains aren't wired like mine (I hope most people's aren't). I just wish we were advanced enough that we could all get paid the same for doing what we're best at, CEOs paid the same as payroll clerks (assuming equal competence at their respective positions).

I am becoming increasingly good at taking myself to that place of one-mindedness... I shut the door, dim the lights slightly and turn on the silence. I haven't been able to use this much while doing many little tasks over the past weeks. The sad part is, what I have used my uni-directional brain for has been skipped over by my superiors. They're very concerned about making sure my "i"s are dotted and my "t"s crossed... but no so concerned if I properly calculated the thermal coefficient for 200,000 square feet of amalgamated roofing (the former certainly has less true impact than the latter). I have a feeling it's because they don't think they'd understand it. This thought gives me hope and despair all at the same time.

BTW... I wrote the majority of this in Aug. of '07... I guess a year later it just felt like time.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cassy said...

They say (don't ask me who, the sources escape me) that men are better at concentrating on one task and women are better at multitasking.
Also check out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_%28psychology%29

4:56 PM  
Blogger Cassy said...

Forgot to say...the flow thing...got that tattooed on my foot because I like the idea of it so much. Knitting=flow for me.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Apayo said...

I wish I could multi task... then I could learn to cook for myself... more than just noodles or just rice or just one steak. haha... you actually can do that though... so your one task thing isn't so bad. alright. Peace.

9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home