Monday, November 05, 2007

John Edwards and sexism

The Times today had a short quoting Geraldine Ferraro saying, "John Edwards, specifically, as well as the press, would never attack Barack Obama for two hours they way they attacked her... It's O.K. in this country to be sexist..."
Give me a break. Edwards did not direct any negative comments to Hillary's gender. He attacked her political stances. All the candidates are attacking Hillary because she is comfortably leading in the polls and shows no signs of weakening (all this despite her vague, stock answers in national forums... which won't likely change until she's won the primaries or falls in the polls). John Edwards may or may not be sexist... but his criticism doesn't imply it.

Increasingly today, it's labeled as sexist to criticize a woman. I've run into this problem twice in the past 6 months. Once I was labeled as sexist for saying that women get out of speeding tickets more than men (they do...). Just last week I was called sexist for saying that although there are thousands of attractive women on Mizzou's campus, many of them will just end up being overweight and sedentary adults. Of course, given the current statistics and trends... it's not a bad guess. The accuser was a bit more accepting when I said the same was true for men, but we weren't talking about men, so I didn't feel it necessary to mention them.

The point is... there's nothing wrong with criticizing anyone or anything if you have a logical and objective motivation and argument.

I hope Obama raises to first in the polls so Al Sharpton can call Edwards racist. Ridiculous.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alicia said...

I don't think those comments are sexist. They do not offend me. I agree that it is often taken too far!

5:37 AM  
Blogger Brady said...

thanks Alicia. :-)

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home